Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Why We Shouldn't Give Christmas Gifts

Here's a very interesting interview with the author of Scroogenomics: Why You Shouldn't Buy Presents for the Holidays.

There are several good points of discussion for you to think about this Christmas season. While you hurry around the winter wonderland with all the hustle and bustle of buying bountiful gifts, roasting chestnuts on an open fire, dashing through the snow in a one-horse open sleigh, and giving all the necessary tidings of comfort and joy, consider how you're buying the love and good favor of others to stave off your need of companionship and affirmation as a good (or somewhat decent) friend or family member...
Or maybe not!

~ Merry Christmas

3 comments:

michael papazian said...

I think the best solution would be for everyone to have a wish list. That way the gift giver knows what you want but there's still an element of choice in deciding which item to buy.

Jessica Cantrell said...

When I buy Christmas presents, I definitely do not consider it as a way to affirm my friendships and I sure do not believe I am buying friends. I give gifts just for the joy of giving, as lame as that most likely sounds; in fact, I would prefer giving gifts over receiving gifts any day! I absolutely love the joy that gifts can bring people and I really love being the source of that joy. This may be a somewhat selfish deed though since I get something in return as well. However, I would much rather be considered selfish for enjoying making people happy than for other things. Even though I disagree with you, I love your inclusion of Christmas lyrics in your post! :) Well done!

- jessica.cantrell@vikings.berry.edu

Zach Sherwin said...

Interesting article. His argument-- that one should measure the success of spending in terms of satisfaction-- seems problematic, even looking at his own example. Let's say, as in the scenario he outlines, that I purchase a $50 gift for Dr. Papazian, which he turns out not to like. Presumably, I would not have spent $50 on my philosophy professor unless I thought that the gift of a $50 gift would generate value, as Jessica pointed out. In other words, by exchanging the $50 for a gift, I actually generate value for myself, even if I don't keep the item. A parent who gives their child $100 in toys during Christmas would need that $100 investment to offset the alternative, through "satisfaction" derived from the act of gift-giving.

So, even if the actual gift itself does not generate any satisfaction from the recipient, the gift-giving itself is worthwhile.

As an example of what I'm talking about, consider "white elephant gift exchanges". Each gift is a tchotchke, completely worthless, but satisfaction is generated through the exchange itself.